Monday, April 11, 2011

The Consciousness Field at the Breaking Convention

Breaking Convention - This was the 1st time I showed the Consciousness Field outside a gallery environment and on such a scaled down version. It gave me an idea of how it will work in New York next month and it was a massive learning curve.

Setting up the installation is quite labour intensive and it took the whole of the 1st evening to do it. Thanks to all the help from the conference's volunteers this was a lot less laborious. Everyone was helpful. I did manage to get away to pick up a programme at some point and as soon as I skimmed through it I wondered 'how on Earth am I gona be in two places at the same time?!'

Well, shame on me (!), I opted for letting the installation grow on its own and attended all the talks I wanted and watched the films I was interested in. I was supposed to be glued to the installation the whole time, this was the plan, but then once again I did exactly the opposite! It does make me wonder about free will..

By far my favourite talk was by Robin Carhart-Harris on the effects of psilocybin on brain function. For those who know me this will be no surprise as my interest on brain functioning in well documented!!

All together I collected 67 definitions over the 2/3 days. And the same pattern emerged. I think it will get a lot more interesting once I take it out of the UK, Europa and English speaking countries..


The volunteers were amazing
Great conference! History in the making for sure.. you can watch a short video here or check their facebook page for loads more.

The work of the Beckley Foundation and of MAPS is definitely worth keeping an eye on.. In addition, I watched 2012: Time for Change and Dirty Pictures.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home