Saturday, November 19, 2011

Danse Serpentine - Loïe Fuller


Went to the Royal Academy today to see the Degas exhibition. Had to queue to get a ticket for about 15m.

I thought the lighting was inadequate in the exhibition. I understand it was suppose to somehow re create the mood and add to the atmosphere of the show but I found it annoying. I couldn't see the paintings properly. What I really liked, almost even more than Degas paintings and sculptures themselves, was the way the show was curated: all the attention to detail in making sure context was put around the time at which Degas was working and how his work was influenced by technological advances of his time and how the practice of other artists influenced his work. The above video is an example of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home