Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Dublin - Ireland

Ireland is a magical place. People are nice and friendly. I was waiting for the moment I was going to meet someone unpleasant but it never happened!! Dublin is buzzing w art spread everywhere. This is in the main road, don't know who the artist is, when I arrived I hadn't sleep much and my attention to details just wasn't there! Maybe someone out there knows & can let me know...



This part of town reminds me of Amsterdam.



This is in Trinity College, was impressed! Pomodoro made this, I had seen another one of these in the Vatican garden years ago.



At the College they house the Book of Kells: the four gospels written in vellum, in Latin, totally illuminated. Quite a master piece dating to 800AD. Shame even if understandable, one can only see part of it. It has been cut into 4 parts (!!!!) in the name of conservation, and only 2 are on display, the other 2 are only available to scholars. Of course one can only see a few pages of it, and is rather disapointing. Might as well just go into the bookshop and buy the DVD Rom w the whole thing if you are really interested!



After the room w the Book of Kells comes the Long Room. Now, this is the most impressive library I've ever seen (maybe I haven't seen enough yet...)! I was humbled. I actually sat down for a moment in wonder. Not just the books & displays, but the room itself is a master piece in its own right! The woodwork is just incredible. The energy of the place is unique and I had the opportunity to read some poetry by Samuel Beckett, it was the 1st time I read some of his stuff and it definatly opened my apetite.



I also went to the Writer's Museum,



and The Dublin City Gallery.



This was my favorite piece although I didn't make a note of the artist's name. My energy levels were running low at this point. Still, in 4 hours I managed to see a fair bit. I will go back to Dublin at some point. The owner of The Castle Hotel was very kind and let me leave my bags there whilst I went around. THANK YOU.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home