Monday, September 18, 2006

10 years in London TODAY



Today is precisely 10 years since I arrived in London, 18 September 1996.

I remember clearly that day, the excitement, going to visit my university in Barking, seeing squirrels and foxes for the first time and having my first ever pint of cider! The Sun was shining and my heart was singing. Of course, I had no idea then the cultural shock I had in front of me, all the challenges but also, how my dreams would come true. Amazing how 10 years on, thinking about it, I can actually say this! I haven’t achieved all I set myself to yet, and have to say I am a bit behind schedule, however, I’m not known for my punctuality! So all in all, is all going according to plan so far! A lot has happened in 10 years: my Father died, almost lost the plot, become an Auntie, finished my degree, the Spice Girls came and gone, turned veggie, fox hunting was banned, worked for some of the core institutions of British society, started neo-dogma-non, Tony Blair come into power, almost got married, moved houses countless times, Trainspotting, the first sheep was cloned, made friends and lost some too, Tate Modern opened, Ken Livingston become Mayor, travelled the world, mad caw disease, the e generation, become a woman, come out as an artist, the human genome was mapped, discovered anthroposophy, princess Diana died, organised art exhibitions, inspired people, the congestion charge was introduced, stopped drinking caffeine, Cats stopped showing, got accepted for a Masters at my university of choice, Chelsea become a super club, tried to quit smoking a load of times, helped others to develop, Charles married Camilla, annoyed a load of people on the way for having it my way, London Eye, had my heart broken and broke a few myself, Tracy Emin revolutionised the art world, meet some incredible people and learned an awful lot! I have changed: I am a lot calmer, patient (believe it or not!!), tolerant and accepting.


This town has nourished me. Here I found like minded people who didn’t complain about my pace (well, maybe sometimes!!). London has the diversity of the world and the excitement of a child. It’s living in real time. It’s ever changing and evolving like me and I think that’s why I LOVE IT. Saying all this, London can also be cold and grim and lonely, impersonal and detached. Not everyone can handle it but if you can, it has a lot to give you. 10 years on I can say the good times have outweighed the bad. I’m not quite finished w it yet and the weather is already changing!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1996. How long ago it seems now. How ridiculous all those 90s crazes were, no? Did you go to the UEL? I live in Barking and it's just down the road from me although I didn't go there for my own degree. In fact I did go there but they wanted me to resit my GCSEs I think!

8:05 PM  
Blogger London Alive said...

Yes, I did go to UEL and lived in Barking for the duration of my degree. 1996 feels almost like another life away!!

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home